Disclosure: Rust-Oleum sent me their RockSolid and EpoxyShield kits, free of charge, to use in this project. Ryobi also sent me a pressure washer, free of charge, to use in this project. All opinions are my own.
Simply put, Rust-Oleum’s RockSolid Polycuramine® and EpoxyShield coatings are awesome products to use on an exposed interior concrete floor. It looks great and provides a long-lasting, durable finish that’s easy to maintain.
Read on to see how I installed these products in my shop.
Disclosure: The product links below may contain Home Depot affiliate links. I receive a percentage if you purchase via those links. However, this is no way changes the price for you.
Recommended Tools and Materials:
- Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Kit
- Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield
- RYOBI 2,300 PSI Brushless Electric Pressure Washer
- RYOBI 2.1 Amp 6 in. Grinder with LED Lights
- 9 in. Metal Paint Roller Tray
- Wooster 9 in. x 3/4 in. Roller Cover
- 9 in. 5-Wire Heavy-Duty Roller Frame
- Wooster 4 ft.- 8 ft. Sherlock Extension Pole
- 2.5 in. Trylon Oval Angled Sash Paint Brush
- Husky 2 in. Flexible Putty Knife
- Rubbermaid 10 in. Rugged Deck Brush
- Firm Grip Trade Master Gloves
- HDX Disposable Nitrile Gloves
- HANDy Paint Pail
- Power Care Pump Protector
Before you begin, be sure to fully read the RockSolid® Garage Floor Coating Installation Instruction Sheet and the EPOXYSHIELD® Clear Finish Floor Coating Kit Instruction Sheet.
I then brought out the RYOBI 2,300 PSI Brushless Electric Pressure Washer and gave the concrete the best cleaning its ever received. I got up grime that I didn’t realize was there!
Here’s a few more details about this awesome machine:
- Performance tested and rated in accordance with PWMA standard PW101.
- 2,300 PSI 1.2 GPM for powerful, efficient cleaning of residential areas.
- Powerful 13 Amp high performance brushless induction motor.
- Turbo nozzle delivers 50% faster cleaning.
- 25 ft. non-marring high pressure hose will not leave scuffs on the job.
- Professional metal spray wand with quick-connect coupler for easy nozzle changes.
- On board accessory storage for user convenience.
- 3-year limited warranty for guaranteed performance.
Pro Tip: Keep your pressure washer pump protected when not in use with Power Care Pump Protector.
The last step in my concrete prep was applying a concrete etch, which is included in the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Kit.
Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® And EpoxyShield Application
Rust-Oleum created a great how-to video on applying the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Kit (shown above), and I definitely recommend watching it. I followed the steps as shown in the video and was able to achieve the same success.
ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Quick Facts:
- 20X stronger than epoxy.
- Walk on in 8-10 hours and drive on 24 hours.
- Extreme high gloss.
- Impervious to chemicals.
- Low odor and VOC free.
- No hot tire pickup.
- Self-leveling & buildable.
- Easy-mix burst pouch.
The Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield kit features a similar application method. This kit also includes an optional anti-slip additive, which gives the floor a sort-of sandpaper feel.
EpoxyShield Quick Facts:
- Suitable for use on interior concrete surfaces: garages, basements, workshops and more.
- Covers up to 250 sq. ft. over bare concrete and 500 sq. ft. over coated concrete.
- Gloss finish provides a beautiful, show-room quality floor.
- Long lasting results, no hot tire pick up, resists chemicals and cracking.
- Roll-able formula allows for easy application.
- 24 hour walk on time, vehicle ready in 3 days.
- 100% Solids Epoxy Formula, Low-VOC with low odor.
- Clean up with Acetone.
- Unique burst pouch allows for easy mixing and reduces waste in landfills.
- Kit contents include: 2-part epoxy clear coating and anti-skid additive.
This project took me several days to complete, but it has completely transformed the look of my shop. I absolutely recommend these two Rust-Oleum products if you want a great-looking, durable finish that will last a lifetime.
I’ve got more DIY for you!