Disclosure: Rust-Oleum sent me their RockSolid and EpoxyShield kits, free of charge, to use in this project. Ryobi also sent me a pressure washer, free of charge, to use in this project. All opinions are my own.
If you’re a parent and love DIY, please join our Facebook community!
Simply put, Rust-Oleum’s RockSolid Polycuramine® and EpoxyShield coatings are awesome products to use on an exposed interior concrete floor. It looks great and provides a long-lasting, durable finish that’s easy to maintain.
Read on to see how I installed these products in my shop.
Tools and Materials
Disclosure: The product links below may contain affiliate links. I receive a percentage if you purchase via those links. However, this in no way changes the price for you.
Buy the tools and materials you need for this project at The Home Depot online and have them shipped to your door or pick up your order at your store!
You can also download the free The Home Depot mobile app to your iPhone, iPad or Android device to save time, money and stay organized. It’s so convenient, it’s like having a Home Depot store associate in your pocket.
- Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Kit
- Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield
- RYOBI 2,300 PSI Brushless Electric Pressure Washer
- RYOBI 2.1 Amp 6 in. Grinder with LED Lights
- 9 in. Metal Paint Roller Tray
- Wooster 9 in. x 3/4 in. Roller Cover
- 9 in. 5-Wire Heavy-Duty Roller Frame
- Wooster 4 ft.- 8 ft. Sherlock Extension Pole
- 2.5 in. Trylon Oval Angled Sash Paint Brush
- Husky 2 in. Flexible Putty Knife
- Rubbermaid 10 in. Rugged Deck Brush
- Firm Grip Trade Master Gloves
- HDX Disposable Nitrile Gloves
- HANDy Paint Pail
- Power Care Pump Protector
Before you begin, be sure to fully read the RockSolid® Garage Floor Coating Installation Instruction Sheet and the EPOXYSHIELD® Clear Finish Floor Coating Kit Instruction Sheet.
I then brought out the RYOBI 2,300 PSI Brushless Electric Pressure Washer and gave the concrete the best cleaning its ever received. I got up grime that I didn’t realize was there!
Here’s a few more details about this awesome machine:
- Performance tested and rated in accordance with PWMA standard PW101.
- 2,300 PSI 1.2 GPM for powerful, efficient cleaning of residential areas.
- Powerful 13 Amp high performance brushless induction motor.
- Turbo nozzle delivers 50% faster cleaning.
- 25 ft. non-marring high pressure hose will not leave scuffs on the job.
- Professional metal spray wand with quick-connect coupler for easy nozzle changes.
- On board accessory storage for user convenience.
- 3-year limited warranty for guaranteed performance.
Pro Tip: Keep your pressure washer pump protected when not in use with Power Care Pump Protector.
The last step in my concrete prep was applying a concrete etch, which is included in the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Kit.
Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® And EpoxyShield Application
Rust-Oleum created a great how-to video on applying the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Kit (shown above), and I definitely recommend watching it. I followed the steps as shown in the video and was able to achieve the same success.
ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Quick Facts:
- 20X stronger than epoxy.
- Walk on in 8-10 hours and drive on 24 hours.
- Extreme high gloss.
- Impervious to chemicals.
- Low odor and VOC free.
- No hot tire pickup.
- Self-leveling & buildable.
- Easy-mix burst pouch.
The Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield kit features a similar application method. This kit also includes an optional anti-slip additive, which gives the floor a sort-of sandpaper feel.
EpoxyShield Quick Facts:
- Suitable for use on interior concrete surfaces: garages, basements, workshops and more.
- Covers up to 250 sq. ft. over bare concrete and 500 sq. ft. over coated concrete.
- Gloss finish provides a beautiful, show-room quality floor.
- Long lasting results, no hot tire pick up, resists chemicals and cracking.
- Roll-able formula allows for easy application.
- 24 hour walk on time, vehicle ready in 3 days.
- 100% Solids Epoxy Formula, Low-VOC with low odor.
- Clean up with Acetone.
- Unique burst pouch allows for easy mixing and reduces waste in landfills.
- Kit contents include: 2-part epoxy clear coating and anti-skid additive.
This project took me several days to complete, but it has completely transformed the look of my shop. I absolutely recommend these two Rust-Oleum products if you want a great-looking, durable finish that will last a lifetime.
I’ve got more DIY for you!