Last Updated on October 13, 2020 by Bryan Fiveash
Parents Who DIY
If you’re a parent and love DIY projects, please join my Facebook Group!
Simply put, Rust-Oleum’s RockSolid Polycuramine® and EpoxyShield coatings are awesome products to use on an exposed interior concrete floor. It looks great and provides a long-lasting, durable finish that’s easy to maintain.
Read on to see how I installed these products in my shop.
Tools, Supplies, and PPE
Time needed: 3 days.
How To Use Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID And EpoxyShield
- Thoroughly read all manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clean floors, repair cracks, and remove any foreign debris.
- Apply a concrete etch on the floor.
- Mix the ROCKSOLID pouch materials. Once activated, they must be used within 1 hour.
- Pour the mixed material (3-4″ wide) onto the floor about 1′ away from the back wall in 4′ to 5′ foot ribbons.
- Cut the material around the perimeter with a paint brush.
- Apply the material in an even coat across the floor using an “M” and “W” pattern.
- Sprinkle the decorative chip across the painted surface. Leave several inches of the painted edge blank so you don’t roll over paint chips in the next section.
- Repeat steps 4, 6 and 7 until finished. (Of course, instead of starting again at the back wall, you’ll start at the edge of the just-painted area.)
- Allow the material to fully cure before applying Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield.
- Mix the EpoxyShield pouch materials. Once activated, they must be used within 90 minutes.
- Apply EpoxyShield in a similar manner as ROCKSOLID as shown in steps 4, 5, 6, and 8. (No decorative chips to apply in this step.)
- Allow EpoxyShield to fully cure before resuming traffic.
Before you begin, be sure to fully read the RockSolid® Garage Floor Coating Installation Instruction Sheet and the EPOXYSHIELD® Clear Finish Floor Coating Kit Instruction Sheet.
RYOBI Electric Pressure Washer
I then brought out the RYOBI 2,300 PSI Brushless Electric Pressure Washer and gave the concrete the best cleaning its ever received. I got up grime that I didn’t realize was there!
Here’s a few more details about this awesome machine:
RYOBI 2300 PSI Brushless Electric Pressure Washer Overview
- Performance tested and rated in accordance with PWMA standard PW101.
- 2,300 PSI 1.2 GPM for powerful, efficient cleaning of residential areas.
- Powerful 13 Amp high performance brushless induction motor.
- Turbo nozzle delivers 50% faster cleaning.
- 25 ft. non-marring high pressure hose will not leave scuffs on the job.
- Professional metal spray wand with quick-connect coupler for easy nozzle changes.
- On board accessory storage for user convenience.
- 3-year limited warranty for guaranteed performance.
Pro Tip: Keep your pressure washer pump protected when not in use with Power Care Pump Protector.
The last step in my concrete prep was applying a concrete etch, which is included in the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Kit.
Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® And EpoxyShield Application
Rust-Oleum created a great how-to video on applying the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Kit (shown above), and I definitely recommend watching it. I followed the steps as shown in the video and was able to achieve the same success.
ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Overview
- 20X stronger than epoxy.
- Walk on in 8-10 hours and drive on 24 hours.
- Extreme high gloss.
- Impervious to chemicals.
- Low odor and VOC free.
- No hot tire pickup.
- Self-leveling & buildable.
- Easy-mix burst pouch.
The Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield kit features a similar application method. This kit also includes an optional anti-slip additive, which gives the floor a sort-of sandpaper feel.
- Suitable for use on interior concrete surfaces: garages, basements, workshops and more.
- Covers up to 250 sq. ft. over bare concrete and 500 sq. ft. over coated concrete.
- Gloss finish provides a beautiful, show-room quality floor.
- Long lasting results, no hot tire pick up, resists chemicals and cracking.
- Roll-able formula allows for easy application.
- 24 hour walk on time, vehicle ready in 3 days.
- 100% Solids Epoxy Formula, Low-VOC with low odor.
- Clean up with Acetone.
- Unique burst pouch allows for easy mixing and reduces waste in landfills.
- Kit contents include: 2-part epoxy clear coating and anti-skid additive.
Rust-Oleum RockSolid Rocks!
This project took me several days to complete, but it has completely transformed the look of my shop. I absolutely recommend these two Rust-Oleum products if you want a great-looking, durable finish that will last a lifetime.
Do you plan to paint your concrete surface with these Rust-Oleum products? I’d love to hear about your plans in the comments below!
Bryan is a husband of 17 years and a father of four. He worked in various construction trades in his younger years and more recently was a General Manager for a hand-forged iron furniture store and restaurant.
For several years he has worked full time on this blog and has partnered with various brands including The Home Depot, QUIKRETE, Ryobi, Sinkology, Rust-Oleum, Wagner, BEHR, Disney, Best Buy, and many more.