Last Updated on October 29, 2020 by Bryan Fiveash
Parents Who DIY
If you’re a parent and love DIY projects, please join my Facebook Group!
A few months ago, I coated my garage/workshop floor with Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® And EpoxyShield coatings. I was very pleased with the results, and even after a few months of workshop floor abuse, the finish looks just as good as the day it was finished.
Coincidentally at the same time, a very good friend of mine was in the middle of turning his garage into a mother-in-law apartment. He was interested in simply painting the concrete floor, so I invited him to come look to see how my finished garage floor looked. Aside from preferring a different color, the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® And EpoxyShield coatings were exactly what they were looking for.
Read on to see another awesome concrete floor transformation!
Tools, Supplies, PPE, and Steps
Time needed: 3 days.
How To Use Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID And EpoxyShield
- Thoroughly read all manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clean floors, repair cracks, and remove any foreign debris.
- Apply a concrete etch on the floor.
- Mix the ROCKSOLID pouch materials. Once activated, they must be used within 1 hour.
- Pour the mixed material (3-4″ wide) onto the floor about 1′ away from the back wall in 4′ to 5′ foot ribbons.
- Cut the material around the perimeter with a paint brush.
- Apply the material in an even coat across the floor using an “M” and “W” pattern.
- Sprinkle the decorative chip across the painted surface. Leave several inches of the painted edge blank so you don’t roll over paint chips in the next section.
- Repeat steps 4, 6 and 7 until finished. (Of course, instead of starting again at the back wall, you’ll start at the edge of the just-painted area.)
- Allow the material to fully cure before applying Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield.
- Mix the EpoxyShield pouch materials. Once activated, they must be used within 90 minutes.
- Apply EpoxyShield in a similar manner as ROCKSOLID as shown in steps 4, 5, 6, and 8. (No decorative chips to apply in this step.)
- Allow EpoxyShield to fully cure before resuming traffic.
Concrete Floors Prep
The concrete floors in this old garage were as you’d expect. There were lots of old grease and oil spills, holes, and even portions of rebar sticking up out of the concrete.
Once the drywall and painting were completed, we also dealt with having to scrape up paint spots, joint compound and removing rebar. You want to make sure the concrete floors are completely clean and free of dirt, grime, and all foreign materials.
Using the concrete etch that’s included in the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® kit will help clean up your floors. Be sure to fill any holes and cracks with a concrete patch.
Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® And EpoxyShield Application
Rust-Oleum has created a great how-to video on applying the Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Kit (shown above), and I definitely recommend watching it. I followed the steps as shown in the video and was able to achieve the same success.
The Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield kit features a similar application method. This kit also includes an optional anti-slip additive, which gives the floor a sort-of sandpaper feel.
ROCKSOLID® Garage Floor Coating Overview
- 20X stronger than epoxy.
- Walk on in 8-10 hours and drive on 24 hours.
- Extreme high gloss.
- Impervious to chemicals.
- Low odor and VOC free.
- No hot tire pickup.
- Self-leveling & buildable.
- Easy-mix burst pouch.
- Suitable for use on interior concrete surfaces: garages, basements, workshops and more.
- Covers up to 250 sq. ft. over bare concrete and 500 sq. ft. over coated concrete.
- Gloss finish provides a beautiful, show-room quality floor.
- Long lasting results, no hot tire pick up, resists chemicals and cracking.
- Roll-able formula allows for easy application.
- 24 hour walk on time, vehicle ready in 3 days.
- 100% Solids Epoxy Formula, Low-VOC with low odor.
- Clean up with Acetone.
- Unique burst pouch allows for easy mixing and reduces waste in landfills.
- Kit contents include: 2-part epoxy clear coating and anti-skid additive.
Beautiful Concrete Floors With A Durable Finish
Not surprisingly, these concrete floors turned out as fantastic as my garage floors. If you’re looking to simply coat your concrete floors instead of covering them with flooring materials, you should check out Rust-Oleum ROCKSOLID® And EpoxyShield floor coatings!
Do you plan to paint your concrete surface with these Rust-Oleum products? I’d love to hear about your plans in the comments below!
Bryan is a husband of 17 years and a father of four. He worked in various construction trades in his younger years and more recently was a General Manager for a hand-forged iron furniture store and restaurant.
For several years he has worked full time on this blog and has partnered with various brands including The Home Depot, QUIKRETE, Ryobi, Sinkology, Rust-Oleum, Wagner, BEHR, Disney, Best Buy, and many more.